Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Neron hits 30, Q is in double digits, 4th of July race, and Gemma hosts a smash up

Thursday SYC ACA race hosted By Gemma.
Neron managed to sneak a first round win against Gemma in a strong overall race performance. The round win pushed Neron's total to 30, so many congradulations to him.

Friday NYC ACA race hosted by Quirky.
In what was actually a quiet night at the beginning of a long loud weekend, Quirky pulled 2 round wins out of his hat in strong form, before pulling out of the races to let the other captains fight for the last two rounds. His 2 wins finally push him into double digits on his win total although he will tell you he gets more enjoyment from actually directing the races then racing them.

Saturday 4th of July ACA Regatta hosted by Quirky.
Now this was labelled as an ACA race, but for some reason the foolish race director let some WildWinds race. However when the results were released the WW's were all DQ so not sure why they raced anyway. All in all a rather quiet race on the scope of the weekend, a fun holiday race with a mix of skippers that don't normally race each other. I walked away with 3 wins the final win a downwind drag race between Heidi and I. I only walked away with the win due to a few desperate moves to keep Heidi at a tactical disadvantage, which still had a finish a second apart for one of the most exciting races I have ever raced.

Sunday NYC BigBoat race hosted by Gemma.
There are many words that can be used to describe this race, most being profane, the best being disaster. A sizable fleet with a good mix of boats and sailor skill took to the line in what promised to be an eventful evening. In the first round all seemed well other then a few minor skuffs I traded with CS for no real cost of speed or position for either boat. Then came round 2...

Round 2 was the worst foul up of a sailing race I have ever been involved in. In a tight start the fleet clumsily got past the line and out on the course when a WW I'm not even sure was in the race came full speed head on to the fleet making progress into the wind. This WW slammed into several boats before collecting me dead in the side at the mast, it then proceded to push me back towards and over the startline before the captain finally decided to moor, releasing me from their boat and on to the course. Quickly managing to regain speed I quickly caught the rest of the fleet that had been run down making it appear as though I could have been worse off. But I was wrong, apon reaching the first bouy I was swiped by yet another WW, though not as dramatic as the first hit I took it was still frustrating, as that boat went on to foul many others. After that nightmare of a race I cleared the fleet on the line the next round and cruised in an easy peaceful win.


Oh what a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment